Halloween Ends

Jamie Lee Curtis and David Gordon Green
I am ambivalent about David Gordon Green's Halloween Ends. It is the franchise's best film since the original, but that is a low bar. I enjoyed the cast, even the relative newcomers, and appreciated the playful and satiric aspects injected by Mr. Green and his screenwriting cohorts. Still, this is a little too "for the fans" for my taste. Even though the fans of this series seem to either love or hate this film, I would not recommend it to anyone but a horror aficionado. 

I did enjoy the corporeal aura Michael Myers was imbued with. He is not the omniscient bogeyman of some of the sequels, but a solid presence who forms a secret sharer relationship with the juvenile lead. Myers' lair underneath an underpass recalls the tactility of the forest primeval of Green's debut, George Washington. Will Green ever make a film again as singular and individualistic as that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment