Nope

                    
I was surprised how indifferent I was to Jordan Peele's Nope. Whatever its symbolic import, I never cared enough about the main characters to become emotionally involved in their struggle for survival. One note performances from Daniel Kaluuya (sullen) and Keke Palmer (frantic) did not help. I did enjoy the efforts of Brandon Perea, Michael Wincott and Keith David, but the film never came alive for me.

Peele is working on a larger canvas here and, technically, the results are impressive. Peele seems to be trying to make some sort of statement on the conflict between American dreams (Hollywood, TV, Westerns) and American reality, but how that meshes with a UFO hoovering up the populace is beyond me. Not a bad film, but not a good one either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment