The Best of Bogdanovich


                                                                 Peter Bogdanovich
                                                                      1939 - 2022

"I direct as an actor. Many times, I will say 'Let me try this.' And I'll walk the scene through and see what I can tell the actor about it. I don't know what to tell him until I've actually tried it and seen what the problem is."

 1) Texasville                                            1990
 2) The Last Picture Show                       1971
 3) What's Up, Doc?                                 1972
 4) They All Laughed                                1981
 5) Paper Moon                                         1973
 6) Noises Off...                                         1992
 7) Saint Jack                                            1979
 8) The Cat's Meow                                   2001
 9) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers:
     Runnin' Down a Dream                       2007
10) The Thing Called Love                      1993

I like Targets and Mask, and even Daisy Miller and Nickelodeon. Though he never reached the cinematic pinnacles of his mentors and idols, he made many good films and few poor ones. Through youthful success and arrogance he made many enemies, but seems to have reconciled with most of them. If you are going to have an enemy, Hugh Hefner is not a bad one to have. Bogdanovich's writings are lively and recommended.

 I saw What's Up, Doc at a packed theater during its first run. I had never heard an audience so convulsed. I turned around at one point just to see three hundred roaring faces lit up by the screen. And I thought, maybe for the first time, 'How the heck did he do it?' Altogether a rich legacy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment